Melvin Ingram | 2017 NFL Free Agent | Los Angeles Chargers | NFL Contract Projection
**Update: The Los Angeles Chargers franchised Ingram**
HT: 6-2 WT: 247 Age: 27 Seasons: 5
Los Angeles Chargers Cap Space (Top 51): $20.25M
LB Franchise Tag: $14.75M (Joel Corry)
Melvin Ingram Scouting Report
Can rush from multiple spots along the defensive front. A movable chess piece. Height gives him natural leverage. Has quick first step and can bend the edge. Good speed and hands (to cover up arm length). Is disruptive in the backfield vs. run and pass. Played in all 16 games during the last two seasons and finally began to show flashes of his potential coming out of South Carolina.
Undersized. Can be controlled when offensive lineman get inside his pads due to short arms. The oldest of the player comparables. Missed first 12 games in 2013 with an ACL and 7 games in 2014 due to a hip.
Melvin Ingram Statistics
- Best season: 65 TCK, 10.5 SCK, 4 FF, FR, 6 PD, 14 TFL
- 2-year average before deal (AVG): 62.5 TCK, 9.25 SCK, 5 FF, 0.5 FR, 5.5 PD, 12 TFL, 19.5 QB hits
Melvin Ingram Player Comparables
Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs
- Contract: 6 year, $101M; $16.8M AVG, $52.5M GTD, $32.5M FG (2016)
- 2-year AVG: 56.2 TCK, 16.5 SCK, 5 FF, FR, 4.5 PD, 17 TFL, 20 QB hits
- 2017 salary cap adjustment (CAP): 6 year, $118.5M; $19.75M AVG, $61.6M GTD, $38.1M FG
Olivier Vernon, New York Giants
- Contract: 5 year, $85M; $17M AVG, $52.5M GTD, $40.5M FG (2016)
- 2-year AVG: 53.5 TCK, 7 SCK, FF, 9 TFL, 24 QB hits
- 2017 CAP: 5 year, $92M; $18.4M AVG, $56.8M GTD, $38.1M FG
Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
- Contract: 5 year, $66M; $13.2M AVG, $20.5M FG (2013)
- 2-year AVG: 46.5 TCK, 9.5 SCK, 4 FF, 3 INT, 5.5 PD, 11.5 TFL, 22.5 QB hits
- 2017 CAP: 5 year, $90.2M; $18.4M AVG, $28M FG
Melvin Ingram Leverage
Ingram has played out his rookie contract and its fifth-year option. He should be franchised, but if he isn’t, he will enter the same pass-rusher friendly market Vernon did. Matthews signed his deal with a year left on his rookie contract, while Houston was franchised. He did, however, come off a historic year and got his deal on the July 15 deadline.
Best Alternative to Long-Term Agreement
Chargers – Use the franchise tag on Ingram.
Melvin Ingram – Sign tag or sit out the team’s first ten games before signing.
Melvin Ingram Reservation Price
Houston was far and away the best player of the four, but Ingram would enter free agency knowing that he is every bit the player Vernon is, and although not the star that Matthews is, he has the statistics of late to claim the same status on the field. He’s going to want (and likely receive) that 1B-range money for pass rushers.
Projection: 5 years, $92.5M; $18.5M AVG, $52.5M GTD, $36.5M FG
Melvin Ingram Contract Structure
Signing Bonus – $20M
2017 – $2M base + $6M roster bonus
2018 – $6.5M base + $8.5M roster bonus
2019 – $16M base
2020 – $16M base
2021 – $17.5M base