Kawann Short Contract | Carolina Panthers | 2017 NFL Free Agency
HT: 6-3 WT: 315 Age: 28 Seasons: 4
**Update: The Carolina Panthers franchised Kawann Short**
Panthers Cap Space (Top 51): $53.55M (Spotrac)
Defensive Tackle Franchise Tag: $13.387M (Joel Corry)
Kawann Short Scouting Report
Effective against pass and run. Always finds himself in backfield. Agility and first-step give him an every-down advantage against interior OL. Diverse pass-rush repertoire. Disruptive force throughout 2015 season. Hasn’t missed a game in his four-year career.
Disappeared at start of 2016 season. CAR wants to pay for future, not past, production.
Kawann Short Statistics
- Best season: 55 TCK, 11 SCK, PD, 3 FF, 2 FR, 16 TFL
- 2-year average before deal (AVG): 55 TCK, 8.5 SCK, 3.5 PD, 2 FF, FR, 14.75 TFL
Kawann Short Player Comparables
Ndamukong Suh, Miami Dolphins
- Contract: 6 year, $114.4M; $19.1M average (AVG), $59.95M Guaranteed (GTD), $59.95M Fully Guaranteed (FG) (2015)
- 2-year AVG: 51 TCK, 7 SCK, 5 PD, 0.5FF, 9.5 TFL
- 2017 salary cap adjustment (CAP): 6 year, $134.4M; $22.4M AVG, $70.43M FG
Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles
- Contract: 6 year, $102.6M; $17.1M AVG, $63.3M GTD, $36.3M FG (2016)
- 2-year AVG: 66 TCK, 6.75 SCK, PD, 2 FF, 9.5 TFL
- 2017 CAP: 6 year, $111.2M; $18.5M AVG, $68.6M GTD, $39.3M FG
Marcell Dareus, Buffalo Bills
- Contract: 6 year, $96.6M; $16.1M AVG, $60M GTD, $43M FG (2015)
- 2-year AVG: 59.5 TCK, 8.75 SCK, 2 PD, FF, 3TFL
- 2017 CAP: 6 year, $113.3M; $18.9M AVG, $70.4M GTD, $50.4M FG
Kawann Short Leverage
Suh’s $26.9M 2015 franchise tag forced Lions to allow him to enter market. Bills/Eagles could’ve controlled Dareus/Cox’s rights for three more years (Fifth-year Option, two franchise tags-a third is cost-prohibitive). Drafted in 2nd round (2013), Short has more leverage than latter two by only facing tags.
Best Alternative to Long-Term Agreement
Panthers – Use the franchise tag on Short.
Kawann Short – Sign the tag or sit out team’s first ten games before signing.·
Kawann Short Reservation Price
If the Panthers aren’t willing to make Short one of the highest paid defensive tackles in the #NFL and give him a deal worth nine-figures, this will become a game of (franchise) tag.
Projection: 6 years, $110M; $18.3M AVG, $61.5M GTD, $36M FG
Kawann Short Contract Structure
Signing Bonus – $25M
2017 – $2M base salary (P5)
2018 – $8M P5 + $3M option bonus (OB)
2019 – $10M P5 + $3M OB
2020 – $13.5M P5 + $3M OB
2021 – $15M P5 + $3M OB
2022 – $17M P5 + $3M OB
*Annual $250K workout bonuses
*Annual $500K incentives for sacks
*OBs due on third day on 2018-22 league years
*Full guarantees are signing bonus, ’17 base, ’18 OB and $6M of ’18 base
*First Three Years: $55.5M
**Contract structures are based on 2016 team’s tendencies.